Motor Vehicle Accidents
The attorneys at Mitchell J. Schroeder P.C. are here to help you.
It should be your focus to physically and mentally recover from the accident, while we deal with the insurance companies. Our goal is to get you the medical treatment and compensation that you deserve.
We handle various types of motor vehicle accidents, such as;
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Hit and Run
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrians Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Taxi Accidents
Suffering serious injuries and/or the death of a loved one from a car accident will forever change your life. Our clients need time to recuperate emotionally and physically. Our clients should not have to navigate through the complex legal system while they are facing other challenges. The insurance companies should be held accountable for the cost medical treatment, damages and other expenses. We have the knowledge and experience to get you fair and just compensation.
WHAT TO DO IF INVOLVED IN A CAR ACCIDENT
- Stay calm and alert. Remember, no one chooses to be in a car accident.
- Make sure that you are out of danger. Alert other drivers of the accident site by activating your hazard lights and setting up flares. Or, move your vehicle to the side of the roadway to avoid oncoming traffic.
- Call 911 immediately if anyone is injured.
- Check for damage to the cars.
- Call the police department and advise the dispatcher of the accident.
- Collect witness information (names, addresses, vehicle registrations, phone numbers). This information could be invaluable to your case.
- Exchange information (driver’s license, registration and insurance certificate).
- Fully articulate, to the responding police, how the accident occurred and advise him/her of any injury. Remember, insignificant pain could be much worse in following days.
- If no one is injured and there is only minor damage to the cars, the police officer may instruct you to exchange information and notify your insurance companies.
- Take photos of the vehicle damage and position in roadway. Also, take photos showing exact location of the accident and contributing factors (potholes, etc.)
- Notify your insurance carrier.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
- Notify your insurance company of the accident.
- Notify a personal injury attorney immediately if you are injured. It is extremely important to contact a law firm that specializes in car accidents. The attorneys at Mitchell J. Schroeder, P.C. are glad to give you a free consultation. Our telephone number is (844) 851-8511.
- Do not accept a settlement from the insurance company without consulting a personal injury attorney. The insurance companies are in the business of making money. They may drastically undervalue your damages for their own benefit.
- If you are injured, do not make any statements to the insurance company representatives without consulting an attorney.
- You only have 30 days to file for no-fault benefits. No-fault benefits covers medical treatment and lost wages.
- Notify your employer if you were working at the time of accident. The accident must be reported to your employer within 30 days to qualify for NYS Workers’ Compensation benefits. NYS Workers’ Compensation covers medical treatment and lost wages in excess of no-fault benefits.
- You have three years, from the date of accident, to commence a lawsuit.
The attorneys at Mitchell J. Schroeder P.C. are experienced motor vehicle accident lawyers. We have appointments available in our Manhattan and Nyack offices or could meet at another location convenient to you. Call us at (844) 851-8511 for a FREE NO-OBLIGATION consultation.