Pedestrian accidents can be potentially devastating and, in the worst cases, permanently life-changing. If you or a loved one was struck by a vehicle while walking, you may be wondering what to do next. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Rockland County pedestrian accident lawyer from Mitchell J. Schroeder, P.C. to learn more about the steps you should take after a pedestrian accident.
Five Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident
- Call for help: The first thing you should do after a pedestrian accident is to call 911 and request emergency medical assistance. Even if you think your injuries are minor, you should get checked by a doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries may not show symptoms right away, but could worsen over time. Getting medical attention will also create a record of your injuries and link them to the accident.
- Stay at the scene: Unless you need to be taken to the hospital, you should stay at the scene of the accident until the police arrive. The police will investigate the accident and prepare a report that contains important information, such as the names and contact details of the parties involved, the location and time of the accident, and any witnesses’ statements. You should get a copy of this report for your own records.
- Exchange information: You should also exchange information with the driver who hit you, such as their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance company, and policy number. If there are any witnesses who saw the accident, you should get their names and contact information as well.
- Document the evidence: If possible, you should take photos or videos of the scene of the accident, showing the damage to the vehicle, your injuries, and any traffic signs or signals that may have been involved. You should also keep track of all your medical bills, receipts, and other expenses pertaining to your injuries.
- Contact a lawyer: One of the most important steps you should take after a pedestrian accident is to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you pursue compensation for your damages. A lawyer can help you collect evidence and present it in a way that best proves your case.
If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian accident due to no fault of your own, Mitchell J. Schroeder, P.C. is here to fight for you. Contact us right away so we can get started working on your case.